Wednesday, July 24, 2013

You’re not just by brother, you’ve been my best friend



My early memories of you, remind me of the relationship of my grandchildren, Bradock and Raylee. When we were small we were the best of friends and did everything together. We really didn’t need to be around other children or friends, because we had each other and we depended on each other. Even in High School at Westwood, we ate lunch together and shared our food. I remember once, how badly you wanted this piece of chocolate cake that I had and really wanted to eat, but I gave in, because you wanted it more. People that didn’t know us thought we were boyfriend and girlfriend. I loved going to your track meets. I don’t think I every missed one that was close enough to attend. I missed you terribly when you were on your mission, especially my senior year. It made the year miserable and maybe that’s why I hated my last year of high school.
When Bill and I were in medical school, Mom had just passed away December 14th and Christmas was approaching, we didn’t have extra money for a big Christmas. Bill’s family was coming and any extra money was needed for food. Our children had voiced their wishes for Christmas that year already. Justin wanted a club house and Donnie and Sarah each wanted Stereo/CD players. We couldn’t afford them, but you somehow found out, and told Bill that you had some materials left over from a job and we could have it for the club house if Bill could build it. The floor, walls, and roof were built, sided, and shingled in your driveway and brought over and assembled in the backyard that Christmas without Justin knowing. Bill’s brother, Jim, even got involved helping carrying in the pieces and ended up falling into the pool, and as you always do, thinking of others, brought over the two stereo/CD players for the girls making that Christmas very special. Thank you again.
In 1995, I was helping you during the construction of Stephanie and Jerel’s home in Val Vista Lakes and one afternoon, Mom called and told us she was bringing us lunch. We had just eaten, but not wanting to hurt her feelings by turning her down, said “sure, bring it on over”. We literally had to choke it down. It was Chinese food, which I don’t like very much anyway, but you ate yours and then helped me eat mine.
In 2000, I decided to do something about that old “popcorn” ceiling I hated in our house on Catalina. Always wanting to help, you came over and taught me how to do it myself and I did it. I got more energetic and wanted to replace the old Southwest white oak flooring that was scratched and missing some of the white-wash stain. I got this vinyl flooring and you took the time to help me lay it and I loved it. Jeff, I have always loved and appreciated the way you have always been there for me and my family when we needed help. I admire you for the service you have done for those you are associated with. I have so many wonderful memories of working on projects together here in Mesa, at your cabin in Hunter Creek, and at my cabin in Pinetop. You’re not just by brother, you’ve been my best friend and I love you so much.
Debby

1 comment: