Sunday, July 21, 2013

Remember when...

Papa,
First of all, happy birthday of course. Papa, I love you so much and my heart breaks every time I see you looking sad or fragile. And I've realized cancer is hard and is probably the toughest thing you've ever faced, but I know you'll get through it. You will find a way, because you're Papa, you're one of, if not the strongest person I know and love. I want you to know that even though some of my recent memories include you having your illness, that does not mean that I've forgotten the memories we've made before the illness. You've been my Papa from the start. I remember that day when you went dove hunting with my dad and I think Ethan and Chase and you came back and cooked up the dove for us, laughing when the girls, including me, were too afraid to try it. I remember in your other house, you coming home from work everyday for a lunch break. I remember you letting me and Ethan try cooked salami and us begging you to make us more. I remember sleeping on your floor in that house with Ethan beside me laughing at you and Mamo's snoring. I then remember us laughing even harder when you would consistently keep on denying that you did. I remember all those times you would let me and Ethan use your big tshirts and watch us swim in them. I remember up at the cabin you bringing back fish to cook for us after a long day at the lake. I remember you picking me me up in your old beat up truck and taking me places. I remember you picking me and Ethan up from Houston Elementary. I remember you taking me to Barry Brown's house in 6th grade at night just to help me with a school project. I remember you letting me and Ethan play with your tools. I remember coming in your room and watching Westerns with you, not really understanding what was going on most of the time. I remember you catching krawdads and scaring me with them. I hope these memories prove to you that you've done so much and made such a big impact on me before you were diagnosed. Papa, I love you so much, and I know you can beat this. You're tough as nails, don't forget it.
Love, your granddaughter,
Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment