Thursday, July 25, 2013

Gratitude



July 25, 2013
Dear Jeff
Happy Birthday!!!   

How I remember your 1st birthday.  Considering I was only 3 years old you were the first chance I Had of getting a baby brother and I took it very personally.  Your birth re configured the Brigham Dewey and Maudie Margaret (Jackson) Perkins family.  From that point forward they would be known as MeMe and DaDa to everyone.  You inherited Gayles work ethic who inherited it from MeMe. Early to bed and early to rise, Work while the sun shines and then after the sun goes down labor in service for someone else is your style. 
Our personal relationship strengthened when we had Rheumatic fever at the same time.   I’ve always felt you contracted it from me as I was with you when mine began with strep throat. I’m sorry for that.  As I suffered under Meme’s care (everyone knows the quality there) I was always concerned if you were getting good care as you had already taken on the responsibility that came with being the oldest of a large family as well as having a part time father and a working mother.  The important thing is even as sick as you were you still managed with Debby’s help to keep all the kids from drowning in the ditch at the Labaron home where you lived that summer. 
I won’t even bring up the Mayor and the grapefruit incident again but I now have half a corvette so I will come and take you for a ride.
Your mission was a huge deal and I always knew it was a struggle for you to make it happen but as always you came through.  Most would not even know how hard it was for you to do it.  I did!!!!!
One Sunday when we lived in Glendale we heard a knock on our door.  There you stood with the most beautiful woman.  I knew immediately Vickie was going to be someone who would make a huge impact on me.  We visited and later we began dinner and asked you to stay.  You indicated that the two of you were conducting a special and important fast.  The day was ending and you stated perhaps you could end it.  We sent you and Vickie into the living room for some privacy while we put the dinner on the table.  When you returned you stated the two of you had the inspiration needed to make an announcement.   You were to be married.  We were all joyous and personally I thought “there is one lucky man.” I was right.  Once again I knew the tides of our family were changing its flow.  And they did. 
Jeff the language we use is very inadequate sometimes and I’ll never be able to express our gratitude to you for standing by our sides during the days following the death of our wonderful Brad.  Your quiet suggestions and acts helped us make some very crucial decisions that we never would have had the capacity, energy, or thought on our own to make during those bitter sweet days.  Each time we opened the door to make the next step you were sitting outside our door ready to chauffeur us and help us remain standing.  Thank you is not enough but it is all I have along with my love. 
We’ve absolutely loved being your neighbor.  We are so grateful for all your help, working with Bill, getting the permits, the lot, and all you’ve done for us since we decided to move to Gilbert.  We’ll always remember the kids walking the fence between our yards and will never forget Stephanie’s prize car that got her and Jessica where they needed to go as long as Jess held up the top lining while Steph drove.  And Vickie only a mother can know the importance of a prom dress for a daughter.  Thank you so much for taking that on in my absence.  It meant so much to Jessica and to me. 
You are one of the most patient individuals I have known.  Jessica’s wedding!!!! Oh my goodness.  You’d fix the electricity and I’d mess it up over and over again.  You brought all those trees in and planted them in the ground as if we were in the pines. 
Always quietly and unassuming you walk.  You don’t stand around asking you just start doing.
When we are in charge of the reunions I make assignments and then put for Jeff – everything else and you always do.
Have a very happy birthday brother Jeff…and all else inclusive.

Sue Sandsom



Dan asked me to write this for him.  He wanted to thank you for all you have taught him. 
He told of the day he went to help you with your remodeling project.  He strapped his work belt on and went over to ask how he could help.  He said you told him to stand on the fence and place struts etc in place and nail them down.  He said he was so scared but didn’t want to let on to you that he was unable to do it.  He said he looked down at you and you looked up with absolutely not a doubt in your expression that he could and he would – and he did.  That is truly esteem building.

No comments:

Post a Comment