Monday, July 22, 2013

She's the worst

In 7th grade I decided I was going to play volleyball. I never played before. I really had no idea what I was doing. I was fast and I knew how to work hard and encourage others. (All things I learned from my dad) So I played those strengths. I knew I wasn't the best and I knew that I had to work hard to make the team. I ended up making the team and I was probably one if not the worst on the team, but I made the team. Later when I signed my letter of intent to play volleyball at a Divison I college my mom and dad told me this story...

My dad came and watched try outs from a corner where I couldn't see him. He said I was terrible. He went home and told my mom, "Vickie we are going to have one upset little girl on our hands. Lets be ready!" My mom replied, "are you sure?" My dad looked at her and said, "Vickie is bad, actually she is the worst!"

Now when I was 18 and heard this story to now as an adult my thoughts and feelings are still the same. What wonderful parents I have. First, my dad came down and watched. Even though I didn't see him or know about it for years it still touched me that he took the time to do that. Second, I have amazing parents who just encouraged me and supported me. I never knew they thought I was so terrible and because of that I kept pushing and actually played with and among some of the best in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment