Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Great Outdoors with Papa

Jeff Kartchner. The name has to be some translation from some ancient language meaning, Man of Nature. Anytime I ponder the name, it ultimately takes me back to the outdoors. There are very few striking memories that stand out to me when I try to think of those created indoors with my grandfather, Papa. All memories land me ten toes down in the grass, nostrils full of fresh air, and eyes overloaded with the beauties of Nature. Whether it be scooping me up to head to Sport's Authority to grab ourselves some nice new fishing poles (as we always misplaced the ones we had bought previously), grabbing me to hop in that clunker of a truck to head out to the middle of nowhere to work on foreclosed homes, or taking a trip to Walmart to grab some ammo to load up the guns with, my Grandfather and I always found time to connect with each other in the hands of Nature. The best, and might I add ONLY fish I've ever actually been able to reel in have been when my grandpa was at my side. He had the magic cast, or the magic formation of bait on the hook. Most of the fishing trips were when I was young and squeamish, so he always helped a brother out when it came to unhooking the slimy fish from the hooks, and sparing me of the small negatives found in that activity. He did this for all activities. He striped all of the crummy parts away, and left only the pure enjoyment in it. I experienced some of my most savory and exquisite memories with this man.

One of the funniest and most impressive memories I have of my grandpa occurred during one of our shooting sessions. We took a trip deep out into the endless deserts of Arizona to fire off a few firearms that he owned. One off the rifles that he brought was very large, and had immense amounts of blowback. At the time, having not had much shooting experience or strength, it took a lot of internal pep talks to get myself to grab that rifle, fit it in my armpit/shoulder socket, and give the trigger a pull. I was legitimately worried about it leaving me armless, or the gun flying backwards equally as far as the bullet flew forwards. So, as I'm sitting there trying to conjure up some courage, or even an elaborate excuse to get out of firing this thing, abruptly the gun is swiped from my grip, and fired off. I was startled... until I turned around to see my grandpa with the gun in his hands, smoke fuming out the barrel, and a dead rabbit laying motionless about 10 yards from us. I honestly believe that that rabbit had less of an idea of what hit it than I did. Where did the gun I was just holding go? Wait, where did my grandpa just go? I found him over at the sight of the dead rabbit, which from there turned into more of an examination sight and platform for a biology lesson. After gutting that thing, and showing me each and every organ stored into of it's body, I was very educated in rabbit biology. You learn something new everyday?

What I have grown to learn each and everyday though is that I love and cherish every moment I spent with my grandfather, and I love him unconditionally. He has been an unbelievable mentor, teacher, comforter, role model, and example in my life. I'm forever indebted to him for all that he has done for me, and some debts are never able to be paid off because it's impossible pay back all you were given in the first place. I love you, Papa.
 
Chase Gilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment