Thursday, July 18, 2013

Trucks are for men

OK, I will address the elephant in the room – HIS TRUCKS!  Number one, I think he’s only owned about 3 in his entire life because he keeps them for so dang long!  Undoubtedly, he could be on a Chevy commercial for someone who pushes their product to the LIMIT!  His last truck, “the blue one” had over 300K miles on it and literally creaked, screamed and clunked its way down the road. 

One of the best stories that I can think of his trucks (and there are many) is when he decided (as if the thing wasn’t ugly enough) to put a metal rack on the bed of the “blue” truck and fill in the gaps with plywood.  It was high, really high, and it was obvious and he was so darn proud of it because it was a tool and trash hauling machine! Well, one day, my mom and I were at the mall.  When we went to leave, the car wouldn’t start.  It is interesting to note that she was driving her Lexus – you’ll find out why.  Mom called dad and,  as always, he was more than willing to come help out.  We waited for a bit, sitting in the car just bantering back and forth, when much to my chagrin I saw in the rear view mirror, plywood (no truck, just plywood) almost as if it were skimming across the rows of cars.  I quickly exclaimed to my mom, “Oh no, is that dad?!  How embarrassing!”  She agreed with me. We proceeded to watch (and eventually heard) that clunky truck with the half-homemade, plywood rack slowly zig-zagging through the rows of cars towards us.  When he finally located us, she rushed out to his truck, thanked him for coming, but quickly scolded him for coming to get us in THAT vehicle without at least taking the rack off!  To which he lovingly replied, “Hey, let’s just think about what vehicle is coming to rescue what vehicle.”  Needless to say, mom and I shut up.

One more interesting truck fact… Dad once owned a sparkling, brand new Chevy truck.  He hadn’t owned it 5 months and, as luck (or fate) would have it, that thing started on fire while he was driving back from a work trip to Showlow.  Burned beyond recognition… I guess it just wasn’t meant to be for him to have a nice truck!

Stephanie

I (Stacy) would like to add two things to this story. First, I was there!! How could she leave me out of the story entirely? Second, I knew it was dads truck coming. I told them it was him but they didn't believe me. I saw the truck earlier and last when mom tells this story she always notes that when dad gets out of the truck "he is dripping in head to toe Ralph Lauren" those are her words to be exact. I remember he was in a complete suit, tie and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment