Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ready and Willing to assist

I have had the opportunity to work for the Kartchners in some capacity (always with kids involved) for almost 39 years now.  They are like a 2nd family to me.

In August of 2001, my mom was battling the later stages of Alzheimer's.  I was at the Kartchner home performing my regular duties for them and watching the kids.  Jeff and Vickie had left for work, as was customary, and, by all accounts, it was a fairly normal day.  Mid-day, I received a call from my sister letting me know that my mom had taken an unexpected turn for the worse.  It broke my heart that I had no way of reaching her and, with the adults all at work, the prospect of me being there in her time of need seemed slim to none.  Not 10 minutes after the call, Jeff, certainly inspired, arrived home unexpectedly and, very uncharacteristically announced that he was home for the day.  Not knowing my situation or of the call I had received just minutes before, I informed him of the circumstances and he immediately advised that he would watch the kids so that I could go be with her.  My mom passed away that day a few hours after I arrived to be by her side.  I will forever be grateful for the promptings that brought Jeff home that day ready and willing to assist.

Debbie Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment