Monday, July 22, 2013

Years of Friendship



Happy Birthday Jeff,
We are not supposed to get older but it seems to happen every year. In this case we are glad we get to share a few favorite memories for your birthday.
The home you built and remodeled on Riata will always be your home. For years we loved driving by it and seeing those darling children of yours. Many times your truck would be in the front driveway and one of your children would be on your lap or beside you. Everyone knew you loved your kids. We got the privilege of watching each other’s children grow up. And now those same beautiful children have brought a whole new generation of darlings to love.
We have shared some fabulous memories. Crazy birthday school bus parties,  ward parties and celerations.There are a few of us who remember the day you almost lost your leg and your life. It started out as fun in the mud and such a tragic injury that you’ve had to endure. We went to see you in the hospital and were reminded how quickly life takes another turn. And still, around all of us friends and I’m sure your family, you never shared anger over the cause of the accident. It was a great example to us all and witness the miracle that you were able to walk and work again.
 Probably the most vivid memory I enjoy every day is the help you did in remodeling our kitchen. It was a great, hard and busy time in my life. We had Grandma Copple living with us and our little kitchen was just not working for us anymore. Copples like to eat and there was just not enough room for my growing family and their friends. You came over and helped me design my dream kitchen.
I was just going to make it a small addition. You said, “Why not push it out a few more feet and you’ll have a nice big kitchen.” I quickly agreed. I found the perfect bay window at a Home and Garden Show and you started working, foundation, plumbing, electrical, roofing. You did it all.
Several times during the work project I had to run errands and leave Grandma Copple. I remember her saying not to worry because you were there if she had any problems. I knew she was right.
It felt like camping out in my own home and I can’t tell you how excited I was each day when you would show up or left one of your workers. I knew progress was on its way. (I have to confess when wouldn’t show up I was disappointed.) It took me a while to figure out how you worked. You probably had the entire ward you were helping out in one way or another. Whoever had the biggest problem at the moment, got your first attention.
When it came time to set the kitchen center island, I had no idea how far to make it from the sink. You said, “You need to leave lots of room between the sink and the Island so that big brother of yours or family members can easily move around.” I quickly agreed. When the family gatherings started I would say to myself, “Jeff was right. We needed every bit of this space.”
I felt like someone out Better Homes and Gardens when it was completed. It was everything I had hoped for. I was so appreciative that you made it happen.

I’ve seen how you and Vicki make where ever you lived beautiful.  We were the grateful guests as you and Vicki invited us over for a wonderful dinner of pizza on the grill with every topping we could imagine. Your current home behind the church has that same wonderful spirit. You go inside and it and you feel something warm and welcoming.
A more recent memory is a few years back, coming around the block in front of our house, on your tractor was you with one of your grandson’s. It was almost like a flashback in time.  I don’t know who looked happier. You both looked like it was a perfect afternoon.
I loved being in Sacrament meeting a few months back and you got up and shared your love of the Savior, your family and ward family. You could tell you knew the Lord.  I don’t think there were many dry eyes. We as a ward and family were so happy to feel of your pure spirit.
Recently I dropped by on a Sunday afternoon and had a real special experience. I got to peek in your front doorway and see your family serve you and Vicki for your Anniversary dinner. I know how they loved doing that for you and I was touched to see how hard they had worked to make it so special. I was happy our Primary songs that Ethan was the star of, could bring a smile.
There are hundreds of memories our family shares and I can’t name them all. But in closing Jeff, you always made each of us feel like we were part of your family. You loved us, served us and we in turn love you and your wonderful family. Happy Birthday Jeff!!!!!!
Love,
Jeannie Copple and Clan

No comments:

Post a Comment